Sunday, 13 September 2015

Snug As A Bug In A Rug

Here's my very first crochet rug...
My friend Cayte at Pisky Cove Porthleven encouraged me to have a go at making one - she makes and sells them in her shop.

So I purchased a few rolls of Boodles fabric yarn and set about making my rug.
I started off by chaining 4 and joining to make a loop.

I chained 2 then did 10DC (UK TR) into the loop, finally slip stitching into the first DC (UK TR) (ignoring the Ch2 each round - I found this made the seam less obvious).

I continued working in rounds increasing by 10 each round, using various hooks depending on the type of fabric yarn used.

Again due to the different types of fabric yarn, I found that sometimes my work would curl up (if I didn't increase enough) and other times it would wave (if I increased too much). So I would undo that particular round and adjust.
I didn't bother weaving in the ends of my yarn - Cayte said it's supposed to be organic and handmade ... plus it's underneath, so it's hidden!
As my rug grew bigger, I did certain rows in SC (UK DC) as I was running out of some colours!
I finished the rug with an invisible fasten off ... there's a great tutorial here
I love my first crochet rug.

I love how I have finally learnt to not need a pattern.

I love how I have learnt that there's no such thing as the Crochet Police!

Like what you see? Check out my custom order details.

11 comments :

  1. Wow, you must be very proud. Your rug is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's the first of many - I've got the bug

      Delete
  2. Your rug is really pretty - great job. Brest wishes, Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darlene and thanks for following

      Delete
  3. That is so pretty! I think I'm going to have to make one after we get settled for my new kitchen! Thanks for the idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kitchen, bedroom, hallway, fireplace ... The list is endless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your crocheted Rug came out lovely. You should be proud of yourself. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous rug, thank you for joining up with Handmade Monday, I'm sorry its taken me so long to get round to everyone to comment on their blogs.

    ReplyDelete